"I generally don't stick labels on myself but I don't have any problems with others doing so, partly because critics are not happy unless they've done so...Readers and critics will develop their views based on their perspective. You see a man lying by the side of the road, he's either sleeping, drunk, taking an afternoon nap or maybe even dead. It all depends on how close you look and what angle you are looking from" -Lola Shoneyin, Nigerian poet.
Truth be told though, I am so not what people perceive me to be; aloof, cranky, moody, blah blah blah! Quite the opposite actually. Just ask my pal now, he'll tell you…in true comic relief. Some time ago, I was tagged on Facebook by a few friends on this new topic, "25 random things about me." I thought it fitting to re-post that 25 here in blogosphere, so there'll be less misconceptions?
So here’s my 25…enjoy!
- I'm an only child. Contrary to misconceptions (and typecasting), NO I'm not spoil! Thank you very much.
- There's no pretense here…what you see is what you will get…unfiltered!!
- I was very reserved as a child, even in High School—but somewhere too, I was quite rebellious…I was actually kind of a nerd too…I think I still might be. Hahahaha
- Oh gosh, yes, I'm a hopeless romantic!!! And will hold out for more…much more…everything…Yes, I still believe in love.
- I have an inner strength and at times, don't quite understand the full scope of just what that means…like being gifted and not knowing how to use that gift.
- My proudest moment is becoming a Mother.
- My BFF is my cousin Maureen…we've been, since childhood…she is the only person who truly 'gets' me.
- My most embarrassing moment…walking into a post while talking to a guy in Pier 1—yikes! I was mortified!
- I can cook—really good—I think; well so I've told even Chinese & Italian…yum
- My greatest strength is my calming demeanor (in chaos) and fortitude.
- My greatest weakness…I trust too easily—Yeah, I always give people the benefit of the doubt...to prove themselves.
- My mom always remind me that—people can do as much as they want, but not as long as they like--in essence—the longest rope has an end and surely enough, if you give people a piece of rope they tend to hang themselves…
- I'm all for education—not only academia—but also, educating myself daily about the world…learning more about myself-who I am and where I'm going...
- My pet-peeved is definitely hair on a bar of soap!! That's just disgusting!
- I'm very frugal...dislike being wasteful and self-indulgent.
- I absolutely love travelling and meeting new people. At one time I wanted to be a Flight Attendant.
- I never forget people...especially when they've been kind to me.
- I'm good at keeping a 'lime' going—yep I'm the comic relief! Wry sense of humor, but it works…
- In the next ten (10) years — I'll be working with exploited and at risk children…I have a tender understanding when it comes to children and detest seeing them suffering—in any way!
- Seven (7) words that best described me — Loyal, Eccentric, Determined, Resourceful, Bold, Stubborn, Fearless…
- I Love chocolate in almost everything—but mint chocolate chip is the best in ice-cream!!
- I was never good at Math, but I definitely know how to check my money…
- My perfect 'lime'—family gatherings! I love all the 'catching-up'…It's just hilarious!
- Once you've hurt me—I retreat—don't hold grudges—will be cordial—but briefly..
- Some of my true friends are those that I've had while growing up—those from a decade and more...and some within the last few to five (5) years too. So, there you have it…there's more.
But what's your 25??